What a differnce a day makes.


 In the week running up to the first lock down we were away with a group of friends in the Lake district, little did we know that this would be the last week of total freedom that we would have for over a year ( I can not see the world returning to normal for quite a while yet). We spent the week walking, going to the pub, sharing hot tubs and doing what we wanted, when we wanted, it was great.

On the last full day it was planned that the group would do a longish walk and stop at a pub for lunch, the only problem was me, I had picked up an injury and could not walk very far. The solution was simple, I would take the group to the start of the walk, make my own plans for the morning and meet them at the pub at the end of the walk to take them home. This picture was taken that morning, and then I headed to the pub and got my pint in while waiting for them.

This was the first point in which I got a look at what was to be the new normal, the pub had social distancing, temperature checks and no one was aloud inside except to order. All these things were totally new to me and a little scary. All the talk out side was the rumour that pubs would be shut (it would never happen!) and that people would be forced to stay at home (not in England!!!), how naive those conversations now seem.  Little did I know that would be the last normal, or nearly so, pint that I would have for months.

As luck would have it I was not destined to enjoy my drink as the group had decided to stop at another pub a few miles away and I had to rush my drink to catch up with them, and as I was driving had to have a soft drink at that pub.

The following day we headed home to supermarkets with bare shelves and increasingly tougher restrictions. My business which when we left was looking to be a bumper year had dissolved to nothing, such a lot had changed in just a week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Action Day - Climate change, virgin birth, flat earth.

Last post

Do it.