Blog of the week - Wood and pixels

Blog of the week this week is Wood and Pixels, it’s a photo blog is a similar vain as this one, by that I mean that unlike some photo blogs the words are just as important as the photos, but that just does not make it an illustrated blog as the photos are far more than just a side show to the writing.

Photography comes in many different styles, some are well received by nearly everybody, take a good landscape shot for example or a good black and white portrait, but the bulk of the images on this site may well split the vote as they are processed as HDR photos.
Now HDR images seem to have taken the place of digital images in the “must hate” category by that group of photographers whose ancestors clung on to glass plates while the rest of the world moved on to film and they themselves clung on to film while the rest moved on to digital.

HDR (high dynamic range) is a set of techniques that allow a greater dynamic range of luminance between the lightest and darkest areas of an image than standard digital imaging techniques or photographic methods. This wider dynamic range allows HDR images to represent more accurately the wide range of intensity levels found in real scenes ranging from direct sunlight to faint starlight. This produces a very different type of image that at first sight can look just wrong to someone used to looking at normal photos, but in the right hands (and I have seen very few that get it right) it can be an art form that blurs the line between photos and painting. In my opinion this blog produces some of the very best you are likely to find, remember it’s a blog not a one off gallery, he is producing these day after day and the quality is mind blowing.

I would be interest to known what you think as I see this area of photography growing into an art form of its own over the coming years.

Just like to add my congratulations to Jenson Button the F1 world champion a great drive yesterday and a fine example of how hard work and tenacity will get you what you want.

My picture to day is far removed from HDR, it’s a grab shot taken on Settle station with very little time spent on the computer.



----------------
Now playing: Queen - We Are The Champions
via FoxyTunes

Comments

Martin Rye said…
That is a good blog Brett and thanks. On HDR check Hiking and Climbing In Japan.


http://i-cjw.com/
Lovely. Thank you for the introduction.
Dan Felstead said…
Brett! Thank you so much! I just returned from a long weekend today and am honored that someone as accomplished as you would feature my blog! I have seen your work as well and by no means match up to your expertise!

However you are correct when you say folks either love or hate HDR...there is no in between it seems. Personally, I have never claimed to be a journalist or photojournalist so I have the luxury of digitally enhancing my images much more than being tethered to the ethics and guidelines of the a fore mentioned school of thought. I think there is a place for both methods. I just tend a bit towards the "artistic" and when I found HDR...I immediately fell in love with the process.

It is certainly no fun carrying a tripod with you everywhere you go but in order to for me to get the end product that I am looking for...it is part of the task at hand.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you introducing me to your loyal readers and by the way thank you for all the comments as well folks. I am in awe of Brett's work and remain a humble fan of his as well!

Dan

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Action Day - Climate change, virgin birth, flat earth.

Last post

New Year